The Buick Regal – a previous recipient of Kelley Blue Book’s Brand Image Awards –adds new technologies for 2015, offering customers greater connectivity that complements lifestyles that are more connected than ever.
They include OnStar with 4G LTE with and standard built-in Wi-Fi hotspot, as well as IntelliLink with Text Messaging Alerts and Siri Eyes Free.
OnStar with 4G LTE and standard built-in Wi-Fi hotspot provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the car is on and comes with a three-month/three-gigabyte data trial.
The new features build on the vehicle-wide enhancements introduced in 2014, making the European-bred midsize sedan a smarter choice for customers seeking technology-infused performance matched with the brand’s signature luxury and refinement.
Regal is available in four trim levels, including GS. They are: Regal (1SL), Premium I (1SN), Premium II (1SP) and GS (1SX). Standard features on all models include:
- Six air bags, including side curtain air bags
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control with full-function traction control
- Four-wheel anti-lock brakes with Intelligent Brake Assist
- OnStar (with six months of Directions and Connections service)
- Fog lamps (except GS)
- Cruise control
- Power windows with driver and front passenger express up/down
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Eight-inch color touch screen radio with Buick IntelliLink, AM/FM/Sirius XM (three months of service) stereo with CD player and auxiliary input jack, USB ports, SD card and Bluetooth wireless connectivity for select phones
- Leather-appointed seating
- Heated driver and passenger front seats
- Twelve-way power driver’s seat
- Auto-dimming inside rearview mirror
- Rear-vision camera system
- Electric parking brake
- Ice blue ambient lighting.
Additionally, radar- and camera-based safety features – including rear cross traffic alert, lane change alert, side blind zone alert, lane departure warning, forward collision alert and collision mitigation braking – are available. Adaptive cruise control is also offered. It senses traffic in front of the Regal to adjust vehicle speed, including stopping the vehicle in heavy traffic and accelerating again.
An advanced Haldex all-wheel-drive system is also available with the 2.0L turbo engine, giving Regal drivers the most of traction in all driving conditions – and enhancing the cornering capability of the Regal GS when driven in the GS mode of the Interactive Drive Control System.
Experience Buick Protection on all 2015 Buick models includes two years/24,000 miles of scheduled maintenance, including oil changes, oil filter changes and tire rotations. It complements Buick’s four-year/50,000-mile bumper-to-bumper limited warranty and six-year/70,000-mile powertrain limited warranty.
Regal wears the appearance of contemporary Buick, with cues that reinforce its low, wide proportion and convey an upscale ambience through technology. The prominent, sweptback headlamps are available in two versions, including halogen projector beams and Xenon high-intensity discharge.
Available LED daytime running lamps form a distinctive wing profile above the headlamps, designed to give the Regal an unmistakable signature on the road, and at the rear, LED wing-shape taillamps give the car a familial look. A chrome accent bridges the taillamps to further enhance Regal’s wide stance.
GS models are distinguished by unique front and rear fascias, exclusive 19-inch wheels (20-inch wheels available) and a lowered ride height. Seventeen-inch and 18-inch wheels are offered on all other Regal models.
Ten exterior color choices are offered (six offered on GS): Dark Sapphire Blue Metallic (new for 2015), Copper Red Metallic, Quicksilver Metallic, Summit White, Black Onyx, Crystal Red Tintcoat, White Diamond Tricoat, Smoky Gray Metallic, Champagne Silver Metallic and Black Diamond Tricoat. Later in the year, Dark Chocolate Metallic and Emerald Green Metallic will be offered on a special, limited basis.
The 2015 Regal’s interior blends sculptural beauty and refinement with technology, centered on Buick’s next-generation IntelliLink infotainment system. The instrument panel “center stack” houses the system’s eight-inch color touch screen. It is designed for easy operation with intuitive controls and smartphone-influenced swipe recognition for easier navigation.
The center stack is also home to the dual-zone climate controls which, like the IntelliLink screen, feature capacitive-touch operation – and are framed in chrome.
A high-resolution, 4.2-inch color display is the focal point of the instrument cluster, delivering vehicle information, navigation, audio system functions, phone features and more. In Regal GS, an eight-inch configurable color instrument cluster screen is standard. It allows the driver to customize the displayed information with adjustments via steering wheel controls. This premium instrument display is framed with chrome accents and delivers chronograph-style graphics in two modes: Touring and Sport. It is also complemented with a pair of semicircle mechanical instruments for the tachometer and other vehicle functions, befitting of the GS’s driver-oriented mission.
Four interior color/trim combinations are available, all featuring standard Soleil Keisel leather seating:
- Light Neutral seating with Cocoa accents and Rhythm wood décor
- Ebony with Echelon Warm décor
- Ebony – exclusive to the GS – featuring contrast stitching and Diamo Black décor, including a black headliner
- Saddle with Ebony accents
Additional interior features include:
- Standard dual-zone climate control
- Standard seven-speaker sound system on base and Premium I models
- Bose® nine-speaker premium audio system is standard on Premium II and GS
- Full-range adaptive cruise control is available on Premium II and GS
- E-Z Key passive entry system and keyless push-button starting is standard on Premium I, Premium II and GS
- Remote vehicle starter is standard on Premium I, Premium II and GS (not available on GS with manual transmission)
- Standard rear-vision camera system
- Standard heated front seats
- Standard leather-trimmed front and rear seats
- Standard leather-wrapped steering wheel – with exclusive sport wheel on GS
- Heated steering wheel is standard on Premium I, Premium II and GS
- Standard power windows with driver/front passenger express up/down and rear-passenger express down.
IntelliLink and OnStar with 4G LTE
Regal’s standard IntelliLink system gives customers the best of both worlds when it comes to infotainment. It provides easy, intuitive operation of basic functions, yet it is also highly customizable and capable of linking up to 10 devices such as smartphones, SD cards and MP3 players, giving users more ways of staying connected.
Enhanced connectivity and convenience includes a new Text Messaging Alerts feature for smartphone users with Bluetooth profile (M.A.P.), which reads incoming texts through the vehicle’s speakers, and Siri Eyes Free for iPhone iOS 6 and iOS 7 users to enhance connectivity and convenience. Each enables voice-controlled connectivity, to help keep phones safely stored and hands on the wheel.
In addition to icons covering everything from navigation to phone to Pandora, IntelliLink is designed to accommodate new features and enhancements and be highly customizable. It also incorporates natural language voice recognition that allows customers to safely place calls, enter destinations, browse media, play music and control other functions simply by telling the vehicle what to do.
The IntelliLink system’s eight-inch-diagonal color touch screen also serves as the display for the standard rearview camera system and available navigation system, as well as the controller for Regal’s audio system.
Complementing IntelliLink to enhance Regal’s connectivity is new OnStar with 4G LTE and standard built-in Wi-Fi hotspot. It provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the vehicle is on and comes with a three-month/three-gigabyte data trial, after which customers can purchase additional data.
4G LTE is the most current and fastest mobile data network – 10 times faster than 3G and 100 times faster than the previous generation of OnStar hardware. And with OnStar, it also offers stronger, broader coverage than smartphones on the same network and it’s easy to use: If the vehicle is on, the connection is on.
At the time of purchase, six months OnStar Directions and Connections includes all of OnStar’s advisor-based safety and security features, including Automatic Crash Response and Stolen Vehicle Assistance, as well as turn-by-turn navigation.
Five years of OnStar Basic Plan includes RemoteLink Key Fob Services, allowing owners to remotely start and lock/unlock a car (if properly equipped), and activate the horn and lights from anywhere with a data connection. It also includes OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, which runs monthly checks of a vehicle’s engine, transmission, anti-lock brakes and more, and Dealer Maintenance Notification, which sends a diagnostic report directly to a preferred dealer to simplify service scheduling.
Refined, efficient powertrains
Regals is equipped with a choice of two efficient engines: the standard 2.0L turbo four-cylinder engine rated at 259 horsepower (193 kW) and a 2.4L four-cylinder engine witheAssist light electrification technology, rated at 182 horsepower (136 kW)).
The eAssist powertrain uses a lithium-ion battery system and electric motor-generator to enable regenerative braking capability. Instead of providing all-electric propulsion, the system provides power assistance to the internal combustion engine. The eAssist system also allows the engine to shut down fuel delivery in certain deceleration situations, or at a stop, which saves additional fuel.
Regal witheAssist is EPA-rated at 25 mpg in the city and 36 mpg on the highway.
The standard 2.0L engine’s turbocharger features a twin-scroll design that uses exhaust tuning to generate balance between maximum power and excellent turbo response, enabling the engine to deliver a broad torque band. In fact, it delivers 90 percent (260 lb-ft / 353 Nm) of its peak torque from 1,700 rpm to 5,500 rpm and a full 295 lb-ft of peak torque (400 Nm) from 3,000 to 4,000 rpm in the Regal. For the Regal GS, peak torque is reached at 2,500 rpm and is maintained through 4,000 rpm. Those broad torque bands are supported by boost levels as high as 24 psi (1.65 bar) in the speed range, engineered to give the Regal and Regal GS assuring, exhilarating feelings of immediate power on demand.
Six-speed automatic transmissions are matched with the engines. GS customers have the choice of a six-speed manual, as well, at no additional cost – making it one of the few vehicles in the segment to offer a turbocharged engine with manual transmission.
Chassis and suspension
The Regal’s chassis and structural systems were developed globally, enabling the handling and dynamics of a luxury import sport sedan with the quiet, refined ride expected of a Buick.
It was engineered with one of the most rigid body structures in the segment, which supports more precise suspension tuning and a quieter ride. Highlights include:
- A long wheelbase of 107.8 inches (2738 mm) gives the Regal refined, well-balanced vehicle dynamics and supports comfortable ride tuning
- Independent MacPherson strut front suspension
- Regal GS and all AWD-equipped models feature a four-wheel independent suspension with a unique High Performance Strut (HiPer Strut) front suspension design. HiPer Strut improves ride and handling by reducing torque steer; improving vehicle sensitivity to tire irregularities and wheel balance; more linear and communicative steering through improved camber control; and improved impact isolation on bumps and rough surfaces
- A four-link independent rear suspension is standard on FWD models; a sophisticated H-arm design is employed on AWD models, delivering excellent ride quality and handling, while minimizing road noise
- Dual-pinion electric rack-and-pinion power steering is standard on Regal FWD models; belt-driven electric power steering is used on Regal AWD and all GS models
- All models feature four-wheel disc brakes, with 11.7-inch front rotors on 2.4L-equipped models; 12.6-inch front rotors on Regal with the 2.0L turbo engine and 13.6-inch front rotors with Brembo aluminum calipers on GS.
The Regal’s Haldex all-wheel-drive system (available with the 2.0L turbo engine) is designed to make the most of handling and stability in all driving conditions. It is an advanced, fully automatic and on-demand system that includes developments in wheel-slip management and an electronic limited-slip rear differential.
While engineered to offer sure-footed handling in low-grip conditions, Regal’s AWD system also alters its characteristics to support performance-oriented driving when the Sport or GS driving modes are selected on Regal GS. It also contributes to a quieter and smoother ride with minimal torque transferred to the rear wheels when all-wheel-drive traction isn’t required.
Regal GS details
The Regal GS is designed to deliver a dynamic driving experience through sophisticated suspension technologies, premium amenities and a more expressive presence. Along with its standard turbocharged powertrain, the GS features the exclusive application of Buick’s Interactive Drive Control system, which allows the driver to select different drive modes – including the GS mode and its track-oriented competitive setting.
In GS mode, the Regal increases steering efforts for more direct feedback to the driver. Increased damping levels ensure ultimate wheel control and reduced body roll for better agility. GS mode also is designed to alter the shift feel of the six-speed automatic transmission.
The GS’s HiPer Strut front suspension enhances ride and handling by reducing torque steer; more linear and communicative steering through improved camber control; and improved impact isolation on bumps and rough surfaces. It is complemented by a four-wheel-disc brake system featuring front Brembo four-piston front calipers and larger rotors.
A four-link independent rear suspension is used on FWD models and an H-arm rear suspension is used on AWD models. It uses the same attachment points as the four-link system, but with the cross member attached via isolated mounts. This system delivers excellent ride quality and handling, while minimizing road noise.
The GS’s front and rear dampers incorporate active Computer Damping Control, continuously changing damper characteristics that optimize ride comfort and handling capabilities over varying road surfaces and profiles. More aggressive, performance-oriented damping characteristics can also be selected by the driver through the Interactive Driver Control system.
Additionally, the Regal GS features a lowered ride height and 19-inch aluminum wheels to project a sporty, purposeful stance. Twenty-inch wheels with summer-rated performance tires are available.
Unique front and rear fascias distinguish the GS. The front fascia incorporates prominent, vertical air intake slots. The rear fascia features a pair of integrated, satin-metallic trapezoidal exhaust outlets. Rocker panel extensions and a rear spoiler extension are also part of the package.
Safety and security
The 2015 Regal employs radar- and camera-based safety features with carefully developed directional alerts to help drivers quickly identify potential crash situations so they can react. They are offered in two Driver Confidence packages:
- Driver Confidence 1 package includes forward collision alert, lane departure warning, lane change alert, side blind zone alert, rear cross-traffic alert, following distance indicator and memory seats
- Driver Confidence 2 package adds collision preparation (with collision mitigation braking) and full-speed-range adaptive cruise control that conveniently works in stop-and-go traffic.
The collision mitigation braking feature can intervene in certain crash-imminent situations, automatically triggering emergency braking if the driver fails to respond to a previous alert. With lane change alert, the driver is alerted to vehicles in the blind sport during a lane-change or merging maneuver.
Regal’s standard safety features also include six standard air bags, with rear-seat thorax air bags bringing on Premium II and GS models, for a total of eight, as well as a rear-vision camera, StabiliTrak, traction control and four-wheel disc brakes with ABS and intelligent brake assist. Front and rear park assist is standard on GS.
Content and images provided by: General Motors